Recent attacks on Saudi Aramco oil facilities in Abqaiq and Khurais came from the north and were sponsored by Iran, not Yemen, defence ministry spokesperson Colonel Turki Al-Maliki said in a press conference on Wednesday.
The evidence was presented at a defense ministry press briefing, where debris from the drone (UAV) and missile attacks were laid out.
Col. Turki al-Malki said the evidence showed the attacks were launched from the north and were “unquestionably sponsored by Iran”.
However, Col Malki said we are still “working to know exactly the launch point”.
Among the debris was what was said to be a delta wing of an Iranian UAV (unmanned aerial vehicle).
Col Malki said: “Data recovered from the computers [on the UAV] shows it’s Iranian.”
He said that 18 UAVs had been fired at the Abqaiq oil facility and seven cruise missiles had been launched at both targets. Four cruise missiles struck the Khurais oilfield and the other three fell short of Abqaiq.
Col Malki said the missiles that struck had all come from a northerly direction. He showed video of one UAV hitting Abqaiq, along with maps and photographs of the damage.
He said of the Khurais attack that the “precision impact of the cruise missiles indicates advanced capability beyond the Iran proxy’s [Houthi rebel force’s] capacity.”
Col. Malki said details of the launch points could not yet be given, but once they had been determined they would be announced.