LIST OF TRAFFIC VIOLATIONS AND PENALTIES IN SAUDI ARABIA
Traffic violations are divided into four categories as follows:
Category 01 Violations
In this category of violations there will be a fine, no less than five hundred Riyals and not exceeding nine hundred Riyals, or keeping the vehicle in custody plus the fine
- Driving a vehicle without a driving licence.
- Driving a vehicle without plates (vehicles will be kept in custody until settlement of violation).
- Driving a vehicle without a backplate (vehicle will be kept in custody until settlement of violation)
- Using forged registration plates (vehicles will be taken into custody until removal of the violation).
- Using illegal plates (vehicles will be kept in custody until settlement of violation).
- Fixing equipment on vehicles like those used in official and emergency vehicles (vehicles will be kept in custody until violations are settled).
- Concealing or trying to conceal or blur the special features of the vehicle (vehicle will be kept in custody until violation is settled).
- Drivers under the influence of alcohol, drugs or medicine were warned not to drive if taken.
- Not stopping while the red traffic light was on.
- Driving on the opposite direction.
- Moving fast, recklessly between vehicles on public roads.
- Exceeding the speed limit by more than 25 klm/h.
- Overtaking vehicles in curves and uphill(s).
- Stopping on railways.
- Uncovering and untying transported loads.
- Carry out road-work before notifying the relevant authorities.
- Non-stop completely at the stop signal.
- Not stopping at the signal driving priority ahead if there are vehicles moving on a priority road.
- Allowing no priority for vehicles to move on the right side when they reach an intersection where there are equal movement priorities, when there are no priority signals.
- Allowing no priority for the movement of vehicles on the main road if there are no priority signals.
- Violating traffic police hand signals while organising traffic and not giving their hand signals priority to traffic lights.
- Allowing no priority for the movement of vehicles in a roundabout by vehicles outside it in the absence of light signals or traffic policemen who organise traffic.
- Endangering lives by driving a vehicle without breaks or necessary equipment (vehicle will be kept in custody until settlement of violation).
- Not using necessary lights at night or while driving in bad weather conditions.
- Driving vehicle inside tunnels without lights.
Category 02 Violations
In this category of violation there will be a fine, no less than three hundred Riyals and no more than five hundred Riyals, or keep the vehicle in custody plus the fine.
- Make additional amendments to the vehicle’s body without following proper procedures (vehicles will be kept in custody until settlement of violation).
- Driving public works vehicles (industrial, constructional, or agricultural) on the road without taking proper precautions to avoid their negative effects (vehicles will be kept in custody until violations are settled).
- Driving a vehicle that pollutes the environment on public roads (vehicles will be kept in custody until violations are settled).
- Exceeding the speed limit by no more than 25 klm/h.
- Tampering with traffic regulating signs.
- Not stopping at check points when there is a check point sign.
- Not complying with traffic regulations at road intersections.
- Use a vehicle for unlicenced purposes.
- Carrying passengers whose number is more than the number stipulated in the licence.
- Seating passengers in vehicles in places other than those specified for them.
- Refusing to present a driver’s or vehicle’s identifying papers when required by an authorized person.
- Not complying with road-limits marked on the lanes.
- Leaving objects on public roads that endanger public safety.
- Allowing no movement priority for VIP or emergency vehicles.
- Overtaking school buses when they stop to load or unload.
- Use an expired licence.
Category 03 Violations
This type of violation will get a fine of no less than one hundred and fifty Riyals and no more than three hundred Riyals.
- Not equipping trailers as required by regulations.
- Not presenting the vehicle for a periodic technical inspection.
- Infringing rules by using strong lights.
- Not following precautions required when parking on public roads in emergencies.
- Putting bars inside the vehicle to prevent the driver’s vision.
- Driving without carrying a driving licence or vehicle registration licence.
- Leaving the vehicle on a slope road without taking the necessary precautions.
- Violating rules for driving on roads.
- Not preserving vehicle’s plates number.
- Non-completion of transfer of vehicle ownership.
- Non-completion of vehicle use domain.
- Not wearing seat belts.
- Non-use safety seats are meant for children.
- Defying priority rules.
- Exceeding time limits set for exporting a vehicle prepared for export.
- Using cell phone while driving.
- Misusing the vehicle’s horn.
- Not wearing a helmet when riding a motorbike.
- Driving within lanes is not intended for driving.
- When animal owners do not keep their animals away from the road.
Category 04 Violations
This category of violations will get a fine, no less than one hundred Riyals and not more than one hundred and fifty Riyals
- Using unauthorised devices inside the vehicle or fixing logos or posters is contrary to public morals.
- Leaving vehicles on public roads in unauthorised areas unnecessarily.
- Throwing any objects outside the vehicle while it is moving.
- Driving a vehicle without front plate numbers.
- Get out or ride into a vehicle while it is moving.
- Pedestrians cross roads from places other than those allocated for them.
- Pedestrians are non-compliance with the signals defined for them.
- Slowing down driving in a manner that impedes the smooth flow of traffic.
- Parking in places defined for people with special needs if they are not from that category.
- Parking in places defined for people with special needs while you are not from the category.
- Not focusing on the road while driving.
- Absence of an insurance policy.