Every workplace wants to be a safe and productive space where employees can work in peace. But unfortunately, even the most inclusive workplaces are not immune to the harassment of their employees. In Saudi Arabia, the government has taken some steps toward making workplaces safer by enacting a law that makes sexual harassment, physical abuse, or any type of violence at work illegal. If you’ve been harassed at work, you may not know what to do. In this blog article, you will find out how you can report workplace harassment in Saudi Arabia both online and offline.
Punishment for Harassment
Article 6 of the Anti-Harassment Law 1439H states that:
- Any person who commits a crime of harassment shall be subject to imprisonment for a period not exceeding two years and a fine not exceeding 100,000 riyals, or to either penalty.
- The crime of harassment shall be punishable by imprisonment for a period not exceeding five years and a fine not exceeding 300,000 riyals, or by either penalty, in case the offence is repeated or coupled with any of the following:
- if the victim is a child.
- if the victim is a person with special needs.
- if the perpetrator has direct or indirect authority over the victim.
- if the offence occurs in a workplace, place of study, shelter or care centre.
- if the perpetrator and the victim are of the same sex.
- if the victim is asleep, unconscious or in any similar state at the time of the crime.
- if the crime occurs in times of crisis, disaster or accident.
Reporting Harassment via Kollona Amn App (كلنا أمن)
If you’ve experienced cybercrime, physical abuse or sexual harassment at work, you can file a complaint using the Kollona Amn (كلنا أمن) app. Here’s how to proceed:
- Download the Kollona Amn app from Play Store or Apple Store.
- Log in to the app using your ID and mobile number.
- Simply navigate to the “My Incidents” tab.
- Select the location of the incident on the map.
- Then select the type of incident (ie Sexual Harassment, Ciber Crime)
- Choose yes or no to the question, “Is the harassment happening right now?”
- Select the incident’s date and time.
- In the incident description field, provide specific details about the incident.
- If you have any proof, include it.
- Click on the “Send” button to submit the report.
Once the incident has been reported, the police will contact you to begin an investigation.
Workplace Harassment Reporting at Police Station
Another option for reporting harassment or physical abuse is to go to your local Saudi police station and file a complaint. To do so, go to your nearest police station and file a formal complaint, after which the police will begin an investigation.
Penalty for Fake Harassment Report
Saudi Arabia is very strict about people breaking the law, so if someone files a false report of harassment or physical abuse, he will face a year in jail and pay a fine of SAR 50,000.
If you have been the victim of cybercrime, physical abuse and workplace harassment in Saudi Arabia, it is important to know that you have options for reporting the incident and seeking justice. By following the steps outlined in this article, you can make sure that your case is properly documented and filed, and that you have a strong chance of seeing justice served. Don’t suffer in silence – if you have been harassed at work, take action today.